Monday, August 10, 2009

PARIS DAY 5

Today we went to Versailles. I had a rough start this morning so I wasn’t feeling to hot. We got up early for another train and then headed out to the palace. It was extremely cold and I don’t have a jacket here anymore so needless to say I was not a happy camper. Our tour guide was an hour late and I was extremely annoyed (mostly just because of the cold) so when he finally showed up I wasn’t sure I cared about seeing the palace anymore. But I’m glad that I did because the palace is as beautiful as I had hoped. Sid, our tour guide, turned out to be really great too. He knew a lot about Versailles and he was really fun to listen to.The inside of the palace is absolutely gorgeous. Lots of gold and marble and crystal. My favorite room (that we got to see anyway) was the long Gallery. The ceilings were painted to tell stories of the roman gods and goddesses. Chandeliers ran along the entire room. Gold borders lined the ceilings and walls. It was absolutely breathtaking. The whole palace was.




The gardens were just as marvelous. There are acres upon acres of fountains and forest and… well beauty. I wish that we had more time to visit because there was so much to see and we didn’t have enough time to see it all. We barely scratched the surface. We had time for a quick lunch/ picnic and then we headed out to see the gardens. My favorite portion that we visit was Queen Marie Antoinette’s Hamlet Village. It was serene and peaceful. I loved it.








All through the day we could see rain clouds coming in and because I didn’t have a jacket I didn’t want to get caught in the rain so I decided to head back to Paris. I was sad to leave Versailles because there was still so much to see, but I guess I will just have to save that for my next trip to France. Tomorrow we go to Fountainblue and Vaux Le Vicomte and I am so excited!!! Night all.

0 comments: