Monday, August 10, 2009

PARIS DAY 6

Today was our last day in France, which was bittersweet because I have had so much fun here but I am so ready to get to London. Anyways… today was another action packed day. We had some time before we went to Fontainebleau and Vaux so Megan, Susie, and I tried for the Catacombs. We got there and to our dismay there was a line that wrapped from the front door around the corner and down a couple of blocks. We had some others from our group tell us that while the catacombs were way cool if we had somewhere else we wanted to see we should go there because it wasn’t really worth the waste of time. So… we went to the Paris Opera House. I don’t know about Megan and Susie, but I had Phantom of the Opera playing in my head the whole time. The Opera house is so beautiful but it wasn’t as big as I pictured it to be in my head. Regardless I was happy to see it.




We made it back to our hotel with minutes to spare because we were headed to Fontainebleau at 2 pm. The bus ride there was long and I’m not going to lie it kind of made me car sick, but it was well worth it because Fontainebleau is awesome. Napoleon Bonaparte’s stamp is everywhere and although its not as grand and opulent as Versailles, it still is grand. The decoration inside is masculine but still beautiful and while there aren’t as many gardens as there were at Versailles there was a big courtyard and lake out back were we bought sorbet and enjoyed.












After Fontainebleau we went to a grocery store to pick up stuff for dinner before we went to Vaux Le Vicomte. I really wanted water and the super market didn’t have any cold ones so I had to make due with a coke and hope that there was cold water in the gift shop at Vaux. I wasn’t feeling well after the bus ride so I didn’t want to eat dinner but after I had a sandwich I felt much better and it was time for Vaux.

Because it had been raining all day Darrin cancelled all plans of “school work” and told us just to make sure that we visit the gardens along with the house. I was sad because with all the rain and wind we weren’t going to be able to do the candle light tour of the gardens, which I had heard, was the best part. The house was really nice but kind of cheesy because they had electronic mannequins acting out what would have happened at Vaux but at least it was entertaining. We didn’t make it out to the gardens till late so we weren’t able to take a lot of pictures but its ok because honestly I’m “pictured out”. We then spent a while in the gift shop and then headed out. After a long bus ride back to Paris I am dead tired and it late and we have a train ride early tomorrow morning to LONDON!!!








0 comments: